Sign Up for Newsletters
AFTER A LOSS
After a Loss, it’s important to restore your home and/or business to good order as soon as possible to protect your health and prevent further damage to your property and belongings. Whether you do the work yourself or hire a contractor, immediate action is important. Your property and furnishings are less likely to grow mold if they are dried within 48 hours.
Before you begin, put your own safety first. Avoid electrical shock. Wear rubber boots. Keep extension cords out of water. Shut the power off to the flooded area at the breaker box. Ask your electrical utility company for help if needed and report to the local officials if you find any hazardous broken lines that have been lying under water level. Next inspect whether there has been a gas leak or not.
Also, beware of outdoor hazards such as dangling power lines and broken tree limbs, and immediately report them to the proper authority.
Steps for Minimizing Property Damage
- If property damage occurs, immediately contact your insurance carrier or insurance agent directly to report the claim.
- If possible, take photos or video of any damage before the clean-up efforts begin and use the camera to document the damage you repair before the insurance inspector arrives.
- As a policyholder, you also have an obligation to prevent any further loss to your property by completing temporary repairs, if possible.
- Pump out the basement if flooded.
- If water damage intrudes into your property, dry everything as soon as possible. If assistance is needed with the temporary repair or drying process, obtain assistance from an emergency service company or restoration company.
- Separate the damaged goods from the undamaged goods.
- If the damaged goods can be cleaned or repaired, start that process.
- Advise your insurance carrier/agent of any mitigation actions you take.
- If you need to temporarily relocate, keep receipts for all expenses for insurance purposes.
- In most cases, the Insurance Companies will consider any reasonable expense a part of your covered claim.
Although you may take steps to prevent further damage as you see fit, it is important that you understand that this allows only for emergency repairs, not cosmetic. Please note that it is in your best interest for the claims adjuster to see and have proof of as much damage as possible so they can determine coverage.
If this is a catastrophic occurrence, it may be difficult to immediately reach your agent or carrier. Due to potentially high call volume, it may take a few days for reporting which is acceptable under the circumstances of a catastrophe. A hurricane or windstorm deductible may apply.
We at CBS are here to assist you through this process in every way possible. Below please find a list of telephone numbers to report a claim directly to your insurance company, as well as a list of restoration companies.
|Ace - (800) 945-7461||American Bankers - (800) 245-1505|
|American Commerce - (800) 848-2945||Andover - (800) 225-0770|
|Chartis / AIG - (888) 760-9195||Chubb - (800) 252-4670|
|Coastal Agents - (609) 390-1645||CNA - (877) 262-2727|
|Farmers - (800) 435-7764||GMAC/Integon - (800) 4683466|
|Hanover - (800) 628-0250||Harleysville - (800) 892-8877|
|Hartford - (800) 243-5860||Interboro - (516) 248-1100|
|Kemper Unitrin - (888) 252-2799||Lexington - (617) 330-1100|
|Mapfre - (855) 627-3732||Merchants Mutual - (800) 952-5246|
|Mercury - (800) 503-3724||MetLife Auto and Home - (800) 854-6011|
|Narragansett Bay - (800) 343-3375||New York Central Mutual - (800) 234-6926|
|New York Property - (212) 208-9766||One Beacon / Adirondack - (877) 248-4968|
|Pure - (888) 813-7873||Progressive - (800) 274-4499|
|Safeco - (800) 332-3226||Security Mutual - (607) 257-5000|
|Tower - (888) 856-5522||Travelers - Commercial - (800) 238-6225|
|Travelers - Personal - (800) 252-4633||Utica - (800) 216-1420|
|Wright Flood - (800) 725-9472|
If you carrier is not listed please refer to your policy for the direct claims telephone number.
Water Damage, Fire & Smoke Damage, Mold Damage
60 Raynor Avenue
Ronkonkoma, NY 11779
EMS Restoration Corporation
200 Blydenburgh Road,
Islandia, NY 11749
280 Madison Avenue,
New York, NY 10016
Servpro of the East End
PO Box 811
Quogue, NY 11959
285 Post Avenue
Westbury, NY 11590
All City Restoration
160 Hicks Street
Westbury, NY 11590
Enterprise Car Rental